We have helped our clients obtain affordable repayment plans to stop collection actions and save tens of thousands on back taxes. We have also helped our clients substantially reduce the amount of tax debt owed through Offers in Compromise. The IRS actually has no time limit on tax collection nor on charging penalties or interest for every year you did not file your taxes.

In a normal year where April 15th falls on a weekday, this would mean you have until April 15th 3 years from that date to file and get your refund. But, you have until July 15 of 2023 to claim your 2019 tax refund. This is because the 2019 tax deadline – which would have been April 15 – was changed to July 15th because of the coronavirus pandemic. If your return is filed more than 60 days after the due date, the minimum Failure to File penalty is either $435 or 100% of the unpaid tax, whichever is less.


It’s one of the greatest civil rights injustices of our time that low-income families can’t access their basic rights when they can’t afford to pay for help. Combining direct services and advocacy, we’re fighting this injustice. Similarly, the deadline to claim a refund for 2020 is May 17, 2024, since the 2020 deadline has been changed to May 17, 2021, because of COVID-19.

I havent filed taxes in 10 years or more; am I in trouble?

So, the quicker you file, the quicker the statute of limitations will run out for the IRS to assess new taxes against you and to audit your returns. While filing your taxes or even returns, it is important that the number matches with that of the IRS. You can take the help of transcripts from the IRS to trace your income history as accurately as possible. The average return won’t dramatically increase your audit chances, especially if you earn Form W-2 wages and don’t have a complicated tax situation. In some cases, though, the IRS could select a back tax return for audit. Additionally, you can request tax documents from the IRS by filing Form 4506-T, also referred to as the Request for Transcript of Tax Return.

How to File Past Due Tax Returns — Get Help Now

The easiest way to determine whether you need to file a tax return is to use the IRS Interactive Tax Assistant. After completing the questionnaire, it will let you know if you’re required by the tax law to file a tax return. If you have filed on time, paid your taxes for the past three years, and met other requirements, you may qualify for penalty relief under First Time Penalty Abatement. You can request removal or reduction of some penalties if you acted in good faith and show reasonable cause for why you weren’t able to pay your taxes. Interest can only be removed if the underlying penalty is removed. The date from which interest is charged varies with the type of penalty.

  • Check out H&R Block Tax Audit & Notice Services to find a local tax professional who can navigate the IRS for you.
  • While your transcript will provide you with the reported income on your 1099s or W-2s, it won’t provide you with unreported income.
  • Taxpayers who are missing Forms W-2, 1098, 1099 or 5498 should request copies from their employer, bank or other payer.
  • Even if you receive a penalty abatement, the failure to pay penalty will continue to accrue until you have paid the tax in full.
  • The IRS reminds taxpayers that many non-filers are actually owed refunds, and they are also encouraged to look into filing their tax returns.

An alternative way to qualify for the status of an enrolled agent is by working directly for the IRS. Regardless, an enrolled agent needs to stick to strict ethical standards and meet requirements for ongoing continuing I havent filed taxes in 10 years or more; am I in trouble? education. Additionally, you and your tax professional may be able to request a stay on enforced tax collection activity. Your tax professional can then follow up with the IRS to ensure the return is accepted.

Call Today ( 444-0622 For Tax Help, or let us contact you

Depending on your situation, the IRS may file a lien that attaches to your property or rights to property or place a levy on your bank account, wages, or other sources of income. Technically, not paying your past-due taxes is considered a misdemeanor and you could be sent to prison for up to a year, according to Cornell Law School’s Legal Information Institute. https://quickbooks-payroll.org/ However, more commonly you’ll just have to pay penalties and interest on the taxes you owe—but that can add up quickly. Our mission is to help low-income families who cannot afford lawyers file bankruptcy for free, using an online web app. We have world-class funders that include the U.S. government, former Google CEO Eric Schmidt, and leading foundations.

  • If you believe you may have a refund, then you will need to file your tax return within three years of the original filing deadline.
  • If you file a return and owe taxes, it’s always best to pay by the due date of the return to minimize penalties and avoid interest.
  • If you file your tax return after this three-year deadline, your refund will expire.
  • If you don’t submit your tax return for a long time, it could hurt your future income.
  • For more information or to find an LITC near you, see the LITC page on the TAS website or Publication 4134, Low Income Taxpayer Clinic List.
  • This is because the IRS doesn’t consider tax credits or deductions you would have used if you had done your taxes.

If this happens, when you do file, your return and any refund will be delayed while the IRS determines which return is correct. For 2022 taxes, however, the deadline for most people to file is April 18. If you can’t afford your back taxes and penalties, consider contacting the IRS to work out an installment plan. There’s also something called an “offer in compromise,” which is a request to consider accepting less than the full amount owed.

If You’ve Filed but Haven’t Paid

The Review Board comprises a panel of financial experts whose objective is to ensure that our content is always objective and balanced. For example, instead of a 5% Failure to File Penalty for the month, the IRS would apply a 4.5% Failure to File Penalty and a 0.5% Failure to Pay Penalty.

I havent filed taxes in 10 years or more; am I in trouble?

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.


Compare (0)